Deputy Minister of National Economy and Finance, Nikos Papathanasis, gave a comprehensive interview on Parapolitika 90.1 and the show “Apénanti mikrófona” with journalists Sotiris Xenakis and Vasilis Skouris on Thursday morning (21/05). Specifically, Mr. Papathanasis discussed, among other things, the utilization of available resources from the Recovery Fund, as well as the “My Home II” and “Renovate” programs, while emphasizing that he will be a regular candidate in the Northern Athens District when elections are held in 2027.
Regarding the Recovery Fund, Mr. Papathanasis was initially asked whether there is a possibility that the available resources, which must be utilized by the end of August, could be lost. He clarified that 100% of the program’s loan component has been absorbed into the economy and society. He further explained that the program is divided into two components, each worth 18 billion euros. Additionally, Mr. Papathanasis made special reference to supporting thousands of small and medium-sized enterprises through the Recovery Fund, revealing that there was an “explosion” of applications from banks in the past month, while the program had been progressing at slower rates in 2025. When asked if there is a possibility of extending the program through a collective EU decision, Mr. Papathanasis emphasized that extending the program requires unanimity among the 27 member states, noting that there is no appetite for such action. “We cannot play with dates, we faithfully follow what the regulation says and we will complete by August 31. We are preparing intensively to complete by August 31,” he said characteristically.
Subsequently, Mr. Papathanasis referred to “My Home II” and “Renovate” programs, which are already generating significant interest from citizens. Regarding the “My Home II” program, Mr. Papathanasis made special reference to the fact that thousands of low-income citizens have benefited, emphasizing that “if we don’t achieve what we say, then a penalty is imposed on the country.” Regarding the “Renovate” program, the Deputy Minister of National Economy and Finance emphasized that this is the first program that focuses on the energy upgrading of homes and concerns houses built up to 1990. He added that at the end of May, the relevant platform is expected to open so that interested parties can examine whether they meet the eligibility criteria. Later, within September, applications for subsidies will begin.
When asked whether the possibility of a “My Home III” program is being considered, Mr. Papathanasis was categorical in putting an end to related scenarios, stating that “there is no such thing. Let’s say things as they are.”