The video of the arrest of 29-year-old Albanian Sokrat Vata, in Levan, Fier, for the murder of a 20-year-old Portuguese tourist at a resort complex in Ksamil, speaks volumes about the intensity surrounding the crime that took place in the early hours of Tuesday, August 18, in the Ksamil area of Sarandë. The suspected perpetrator was found hiding in the trunk of a car occupied by two Turkish nationals, who were also handcuffed and taken into custody. The 29-year-old allegedly attempted to flee the area where the crime occurred at 2:30 a.m. in this manner. Reports indicate that jealousy over a young woman was the motive behind the killing. The alleged murderer and the victim had both been enjoying the night at the resort’s nightclub. The Portuguese tourist reportedly tried to act as a peacemaker, as he was not directly involved in the altercation. According to witness accounts aired by Top Channel, he was then stabbed multiple times — including in the back and chest — in what proved to be fatal blows. His body was found on the beach, and three hours passed before it was discovered.
Read also: Filothei: 48-year-old wanted for homicide in Albania arrested
Albanian police just delivered the most chaotic, incompetent arrest of the year.
Sokrat Vata, 29, the beach "security" who stabbed 20-year-old Portuguese tourist Luis Miguel Varela Mendes to death in Ksamil over some pathetic verbal conflict, tried to flee by literally hiding in… pic.twitter.com/LXaq2oGzF0
— Flamingo Television (@Flamingo_TV) August 18, 2026
What role did the Turkish nationals play?
Vata and the two Turkish nationals — a 38-year-old male driver and a 31-year-old female passenger — were taken to the Vlorë police station. Police had already set up checkpoints along major roads and were conducting vehicle inspections when, on the morning of August 18 at around 7:30 a.m., they discovered the 29-year-old concealed in the trunk. The operation was carried out by the “Shqiponja” special forces unit, and operational police services tracked down the vehicle in which he was hiding in Levan, Fier.
The two Turkish nationals told authorities, according to Top Channel, that they were regular guests at the tourist resort and had developed a friendly relationship with the 29-year-old. They claimed they had been paying him for security services, as a bodyguard and personal escort. They denied any involvement in the murder and reportedly told investigators — through interpreters — that they had taken him with them solely on account of their personal relationship. This version of events is now under close scrutiny by authorities, as the role of the two Turkish nationals in the alleged attempt to help the 29-year-old flee is actively being investigated.
Levan, Fier/Kapet dhe vihet në pranga, pas 5 orësh nga vrasja, autori i dyshuar i vrasjes së 20-vjeçarit, në Ksamil https://t.co/feFjaY6Qdr pic.twitter.com/uWnLcwC9lY
— Policia e Shtetit (@PoliciaeShtetit) August 18, 2026
Investigators probe possible police officer involvement
The case no longer centers solely on the 29-year-old and the two Turkish nationals. As part of the investigation, 24-year-old Moisind Matushaj, a resident of Gjirokastër, has also been taken into custody. He serves as an assistant special crime investigator at the Gjirokastër Border Police Directorate.
According to Albanian media outlets, authorities are investigating whether he helped Sokrat Vata flee the crime scene. In addition, a further individual who is believed to have been present at the scene and subsequently headed toward Tirana is also being sought. In total, according to Top Channel, 42 people were brought in by Sarandë police for questioning in connection with the case.
The case is now in the hands of both the police and the prosecutor’s office, who are working to fully establish what preceded the murder, the precise role played by each individual involved, and how the 29-year-old’s escape attempt was organized. Authorities are also examining the circumstances under which the 20-year-old lay outside the venue for a significant period of time following the attack. What remains certain is that a night out at the popular tourist resort of Ksamil ended in tragedy — a young tourist lost his life, and a wide-ranging investigation is now in full swing.