A harrowing account has emerged from the Italian tourist injured in the road accident that occurred early on Friday (14/08) near the entrance of the Preveza–Aktio Underwater Tunnel, when a truck plowed into several vehicles. The incident caused widespread disruption in the area, leaving eight people injured — including two children — as authorities continue to investigate the cause of the crash.
Preveza crash: “I was hurting everywhere,” says injured Italian tourist
The Italian tourist remains hospitalized and is under medical observation following the shocking accident. Speaking to Star television, she described the terrifying moments she experienced. “I’m doing fairly well — I’m waiting for my husband, who has gone to the police station to make a statement. I’m not entirely sure how things work here, especially when you don’t speak the language well, although I think there’s someone at the police station who speaks Italian. I’m okay, though I feel quite shaken up. I was in pain everywhere — my neck was hurting too — but I’m trying to recover now,” she said.
How the road accident at Preveza happened
The shocking crash at Aktio occurred when three private vehicles had come to a stop at the entrance of the underwater tunnel, waiting for the traffic light to turn green. Under circumstances still being investigated by the relevant authorities, an oncoming truck failed to stop in time and struck the vehicles with considerable force, injuring eight people — among them two young children. The three cars bore Romanian, Italian, and Greek license plates, while the truck driver is Greek.
Fire and rescue services arrived at the scene immediately and, using specialized cutting equipment — as the vehicles had been literally crushed — cut through the metal and freed those trapped inside. A total of eight people were injured in the crash, including at least two young children. The injured were transported to hospital for examinations and to receive the necessary medical care.
All injured reported to be in stable condition
According to information available, none of the injured are in life-threatening condition, as the injuries sustained are primarily orthopedic in nature. Strong contingents of the Fire Service and Traffic Police rushed to the scene, along with three EKAB ambulances to provide first aid and transport the injured to hospital.
It is worth noting that local authorities have expressed concern over the rise in road accidents in the area and are urging drivers to exercise caution.




